Monday 7 April 2014

Co-operation

I am a firm believer in co-operation, I feel without it a company cannot function effectively. There have been many insistences in my past professional work where a lack of communication and co-operation between staff has led to disorder. The idea of co-operation until an opportunity for self-gain arises is I feel a selfish concept and not one I can agree to. What about the person left behind? Perhaps this is something I need to look at myself. As a Teacher I always try to help my students to succeed, sometimes to my own detriment (taking 10 pieces of music home to cut ready for their choreographic competition)

After giving time for this theory to process I started to thing if there where circumstances where this has happened to me. I could think of a few, so should I take advantage of my colleagues before they can of me? If everyone is waiting for the opportunity to 'deflect' will there be any trust? I agree in co-operation for mutual gain, working together can have benefits for both parties involved. Network links can be forged when communities work together. In the past some of my work has involved working with outside companies if a link is made through co-operation and trust then the chances of that link remaining and possible expanding are strong. 

In any good working relationship there needs to be a level of trust built up through respect and co-operation. If that trust is lost the relationship becomes harder to maintain, let me explain. During my career I have needed to co-operate many times with my colleges and employers. I have worked extra hours for free, helped with costumes and props for performances and shows, took responsibilities outside of my job description and in return my employer has been more open to making compromises when needed, has listened to my ideas and offered me more paid work. An example of 'Tit for Tat' that Axelrod mentions. However if my employer was to be unwilling to co-operate with me, I would be less willing in the future to help with jobs outside of my normal parameters as dance teacher. This can also relate to student teacher relationships as I mentioned before I will happily go out of my way for my students. I think it is important to help and guide the children I teach. However with all that I give there is as a limit to the lengths I will go to without any co-operation from the student. If I find that a student is not working to their best ability in class it will make me more resentful to go out of my way to help them in the future.

I think that to deflect from a mutual co-operative relationship may have benefits, but for how long? If there continues to be a working relationship after this instance will the injured party be as quick to co-operate again? Thinking back over my professional career from situations where this has occurred to me I do tend to give people the 'benefit of the doubt' hoping that if I show trust and willing to further co-operate they might reciprocate. However once the co-operation is lost I am always more cautious in my approach. So does defection have any real long term gain? So my conclusion for a continued working relationship co-operation is vital but it must be mutual.






No comments:

Post a Comment