Monday 9 March 2015

Getting started.....eventually!!

At the beginning of this Module I felt completely overwhelmed and a little unfocused, after a skype session with Paula I feel better about my inquiry and ready to steam ahead. although I have some catching up to do I feel better focused and happy with the shape my inquiry is developing.

Paula and I discussed something that I had been worried about for a while. She questioned my topic of motivation and what I was hoping to achieve from my inquiry. Although I thought my line of inquiry was a valid one, I was unsure as to what results I wanted and what the outcome might be or how it would benefit.

The idea of Independent learning has intrigued me since beginning this course. Although I'm sure you will all agree it is a slightly terrifying prospect to be given such a open range of possible areas to study. Once you get used to this style of learning and the freedom it allows, it does motivate you to learn more. Its that intrinsic motivation that I am interested in. How to create intrinsic motivation in others. It was at the back of my mind that this is where my inquiry could possible lead but I suppose you could say that light bulb moment didn't come until my discussion with Paula. So my focus whilst still on motivation has shifted slightly to include independent study also (more research for me!). It will look to explore student’s levels of Self-Motivation and whether they can be enhanced through increased responsibility towards their own learning.


From

MOTIVATION: AN INQUIRY INTO STUDENT’S MOTIVATION, THE INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL FACTORS THAT EFFECT IT AND WHETHER WE CAN ENCOURAGE SELF-MOTIVATION.
to

SELF-MOTIVATION THROUGH SELF-STUDY: CAN INTRINSIC MOTIVATION BE DEVELOPED THROUGH INDEPENDENT LEARNING?


I have touched on this previously with students in the past. I spent a couple of lessons allowing the students to develop their own technique. I had taught them a piece of solo choreography and walked through the detailing and some of the technical and musical corrections. I then allowed them to video themselves dancing the piece and work independently until they felt it was ready. they would then show me their work and we would discuss how improvements could be made. It was interesting to see how by giving the students a little bit of responsibility changed the way they worked. At fist they were coming to me after a couple of minutes practice and waiting for me to correct every detail, after a while they would work longer on the piece perfecting it further before showing me their work. Their motivation to develop their work was evident and I feel they benefited from the independence it gave them. While I am aware that this technique would not work in all circumstances and the student would need a certain level of knowledge towards technique and self-correction, it makes sense that a person would learn more from correcting their own mistakes rather than having them corrected for them. I would be interested to know if anyone else has tried this method with students or has any thoughts on the topic of independent study.

Although I'm still behind in the overall scheme of things I have a more focused inquiry and I'm ready to get cracking......finally!
  

4 comments:

  1. Hi Della,
    I felt exactly the same. Although my inquiry was along the same lines as my plan I had so much more refining and improving to do that I felt like I was starting all over again, and it was very overwhelming. I feel like I am still in that process and not ready to undertake the practical element of the inquiry but I know the result I want at the end and that is giving me the motivation to push forward with the inquiry. I think that seeing or realising what you is a great way to get motivated. In class I sometimes ask the students. What do you want to be able to do? Who do you want to dance like? What skill would you like to achieve (may be a handstand, or double pirouette or to use emotion and expression in their dancing) then ask them and how do you get there? What do you need to do to make that happen? That seems to put together a journey or targets in their head of how to get there. Really it is themselves motivating their practice as I have only asked the question. They think of the answers and plan how to get there. Just a thought! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca,
      Thanks for the comment, it's nice to know your not alone. Sometimes I think it might be better not to look ahead at what we have to do but just concentrate on what it is your working on, I don't know about you but I find that almost impossible to do. I'm ready to undertake my inquiry now and everything is set in motion but sometimes when I think about it I start doubting what the results will bring or if I'm doing enough to prepare. then comes panic followed by more research and further preparation (sigh!)
      The questions you ask your students are great. This is the type of thing I'm looking into so thank you. I still have a little bit of refining to do but I will be holding a workshop for the students and these will be the type of questions I will be asking them, so I will be thinking about these questions in more depth. My question to you would be, Does it make them more motivated to achieve their goals when they plan and decide what needs to happen to achieve them?

      Delete
  2. Hi Della. The title of this post was exactly how I felt a few weeks ago. Completely overwhelmed and no idea where to start. I felt like my inquiry was so big and needed trimming.

    Once I had my plan and proposal in place, I sat down and had a serious think of how the next few weeks would pan out in terms of a schedule and getting everything I needed. During this time there were several changes to the students timetables which meant I had to re think a lot. Its funny how you think you have it all worked out..... and then you change things. I felt bad that this had happened but after ready many blogs I have found this is common.

    Even though I have made the necessary changes and begun my plan I still feel overwhelmed. I feel there are so many things I'm still unsure of.

    Permission? How much permission do we need? I'm use to proposing an idea to the head of the school who then tells me what I can and cannot do. He reviews the consent forms and then gives me the go ahead so i know i'm fully covered.

    As this inquiry is for outside of school I feel i'm still a little fuzzy on the ethics and data protection side of things. Is a signed consent form enough? I have fully explained that data collected will be used and viewed at Middlesex. However, I still feel something is missing. I have the Middlesex consent form for recording and collecting data, which is signed by the parents of the students involved as well as a consent form I have devised for the school. Is this enough? I cant help but feel something is missing and i'm not fully covered.

    any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

    I am also struggling with literature. is anyone else? I have applied for a SCONUL pass but it hasn't arrived. I feel I need to be in a library with books to attain the literature needed. Online literature hunting just gives me a head ache. Does anyone else feel the same?

    As for your inquiry, it sounds great. For GCSE dance our students have a lot of independent learning. Thjey have to choreography a solo, performance piece and a choreography piece. Which doesn't sound like much but for 15 year olds it can be.

    I have found for correcting students a variety of methods works. We have one called Rally Coach. This is where they pair up and one performs while the other corrects any mistakes, they then swap over. I also record the students as a whole when performing group pieces and put it on the large projector when im having issues with timing. I find when they can sit and watch the piece as a whole they understand the vision you have for it and can identify areas for improvement, in particular timing.

    if you need any information regrading this process with teenagers in a school environment I would be more than happy to help

    Claire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire,
      It's becoming apparent that most people where feeling a little lost at the beginning. My chat with Paula really helped me to start organizing my thoughts.

      I know how you feel about ethics and data protection, and my participants are over 16 so I don't need parent permission. Sounds like your well covered tho, the Head (your gatekeeper) the parents, what about the students? Have you gave them an Invitation to participate? I'll be putting mine on my blogg soon hopefully but giving them out this week.

      Thanks for the advice on how you use independent learning with your students. Getting students to correct each other and work together to correct and help each other is a great idea I use this myself in their technique classes but its also something we do regularly in the teacher training classes. It helps them to train their eye for correcting students of their own in the future. Recording them as a whole is fab too, I think I will try this as we have a couple of shows approaching this term.

      Heres the link to some literature regarding Ethics and Qualitative Research. I found helpful, it gives you real life examples to possible ethical problems and really got me thinking about the possible complications that might arise when undertaking my own inquiry.
      http://www.uk.sagepub.com/upm-data/27011_4.pdf

      Delete