Monday 23 March 2015

Down the Rabbit hole.......AGAIN!

The BBAP experience....

Just a quick post on my thoughts on Inquiry and Bapp in general. Sometimes I find the whole process overwhelming and extremely scary. I don't like the feeling of no control that we need in order to discover the answers to our questions.
Adesola wrote in her blogg:
You might be afraid you will not know what to do with data that is unexpected. But this is like saying you want to control what you will find and if so then why bother to do research – you could just tell us what you want to find.
The process of research that you worked out in Module Two will stop you from getting too lost. The research project itself is like a path if you follow it even when you are not sure what you are doing you’ll get somewhere

The only way I can explain it is that I'm Alice looking down the rabbit hole. I know what I need to do (jump) but I have no clue what will happen after that (I'm pretty sure Alice didn't think about it as much as us but you get the idea) I don't know where I will land and what I will discover along the way, some things might be what I'd expect but others I wont (who expects to find a garden down a rabbit hole) We cant control every aspect of the fall but it's what we do with the knowledge we discover that's important and which way we go from that point. We might not end up where we thought we be (pretty sure Alice thought she'd end up in Australia at one point) but at some point we will stop falling......Hopefully!

We can't try to predict what people will say or what the outcome will be, we can't will them to answer the question the way we would.
I just thought it was worth mentioning in case anyone is not at this stage yet or if your feeling the same way. Any thoughts!?

2 comments:

  1. I have a beautiful illustration from Alice In Wonderland above my desk - I always feel this way! I think it's exciting though: when you're following a thread of an idea with very little idea of what you'll find at the end or where it will take you.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Della, I'm currently working on Alice's Adventures in Wonderland with my lovely little Stagecoach class on a Saturday, so this post leapt out at me!
    First off, I am inclined to agree with you that I have also found this experience 'scary' at times. I believe this is down to me wanting to do really well out of it, I don't cope with setback particularly well and am always setting myself really high targets! The other day I had to help out with the running of the LAMDA drama exams at my school, many of the students were extremely nervous and I told them that nerves showed that they cared about doing well. The same could be said of us on this BAPP programme! Also the fact that the 'distance-leaner' element is something so different to what I have experienced before. I really like the analogy you have used here, especially how we can't control all the aspects of our 'falls' but it is what we do with the knowledge we gain from jumping, which in turn influences our next move. Having (nearly) come out the other side of Module 3 alive (only just!!!) I think this blog post will be extremely useful for people starting out on Module 3 in the months to come.

    Pip :)

    ReplyDelete