Monday 20 January 2014

Task 1a: Professional profile

From my understanding of this task I am to rewrite my CV into a blog profile. From looking at some students blogs who are further on in this course I noted that many of them had posted their actual CV, and had received comments on how they could improve. As my professional work has so far been through the ISTD and working for the college at where I trained any additional employment I have gained has been through word of mouth and by reference from the college. So not until recently when I began to branch out into to the education sector I have not had the need for a professional CV, therefore, I have decided to first of all post my CV in the hope of receiving some feedback or comments on how it could be improved. I have also written a profile, which after much frustration and many hours I have managed to upload (if that is the correct term) to this blog, although I feel it may need further detail.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oSerBcb4jOvizkF3yfpiSlMIiyYQQClVvBTqlpNbqkc/edit?usp=sharing

I'm pretty shocked that I managed to do this but this is the link to my CV

6 comments:

  1. Hey! I really enjoyed reading your blog profile and your posts. I am happy to begin getting connected with other BAPP students, share our thoughts and like you said, make us better professionals.
    About your CV, I think the format and the subject really depends on the type of job you are applying to. But I remember that in my school, they used to tell us that the order of the elements is important. So, first you should put what you believe would interest the employer most. In my opinion, you should first tell about your employment, then about your education and after about your technical skills. I enjoyed reading your “Personal Statement”, it is a nice way to present your personality as a professional. I think you showed well your opinion about teaching but didn't showed why you would like to be part of a company. And this is what you are currently looking for, as you wrote in the last sentence. For this, I would suggest you to use your “personal skills" session and tell a bit about your performance experience. But this is just from my experience with CVs… so like I said it depends to where you are applying to and how would you like to present yourself…I hope I helped !
    Julia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julia, It's always nice to get feedback I think it helps us to develop our work further.The CV I've posted is a generalised version, if I was to apply for a job I would adapt my Personal Statement with regards to the company I was applying to but I'm not sure if that's the right approach or not as I haven't found the need for a CV much in my career so far. I do agree with your opinion on the structure to my CV, it makes sense to first show the employer what they would be most interested in, I will change this to the order you suggested,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Della Thanks for this - did you want to leave your details up online? you could just xxxx anything like your address if that is appropriate - we can still see the format. Yes I agree, every CV is different because you usually apply to match your skills to an employers - but it is good to describe your abilities/experience in performance if that is the job - do you have one for teaching and one for performing? Do you need the GCSEs? Also would note- this learning blog is a type of a CV? as it tells about you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear! I hadn't realised that I had left my details on, thanks for pointing that out. I started teaching at the age of 16 and caught the bug. Teaching is my passion, so after I graduated from college I went into teaching full time. I have no performance experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Might be something to think about in future in terms of performance? have you taken part in shows as a volunteer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I performed a lot as a child and took part in performances whilst as college. I know this might be difficult for some people to understand, given the nature of our work but the thought of performing fills me with dread! I love to dance but don't like to be watched, I don't even like appearing on stage at the end of our shows. Although I love being at the theatre and organising things backstage I'm happy to watch others take the spotlight.

      Delete