Thursday 11 September 2014

We are competent, but are we capable of more!

Competencies – Individuals know how or skill.
Capabilities – what can be developed and improved.

Making a list of my competencies and capabilities was not as simple as I thought. I know what I can do but is it possible to truly know what you’re capable of until you try? I also find it pretentious to write down what I am good at, after all who am I to judge. Something to work on I think.

How do you gain new knowledge in an existing role?

Our capabilities are what leads us to do the job best. They can be developed and improved upon past our qualifications and allow us to learn more and better our abilities each day. Our qualifications could be categorised as generic competencies (Raelin 2008). Although they are specific to the job we are all given the same tool through our training to be competent in our work. I believe it is what you learn afterwards that create the teacher you are, if you believe your training finishes after graduation you are ignoring the potential to improve.

I feel we should not see our competencies as enough to do the job, they list whether we can perform a job but not how well suited we are to that role (Raelin 2008)
I can also relate this to the same job in a company. Officially I and my colleagues have the same job title within the company where we work. However, the staff could be split into Musical theatre and ISTD trained teachers. Those of us who are trained teachers through the ISTD have roughly the same qualifications and were all taught in the same way, our competences link us in this way, however each of us have very different capabilities that would not suit us to perform each other’s rolls within the college to the same standard.


No comments:

Post a Comment